Sunday, October 20, 2013

FTD Awareness and Football Helmets

I am curious about something that has been on my mind the last couple of months. My sister in-laws cousin died last year at the age of 51. He had a very tragic event take place in his life several years ago and from that point on he progressively worsened until his death. My brother told me he had depression and that is what he died from. I always found that to be odd because I have never heard of anyone dying from depression unless they took their own life. I wonder if he could have had some form of FTD?  I do not know enough about his history to know the circumstances, but depression is a symptom to a lot of diseases that are progressed with stress. FTD or maybe he had a head trauma as well at some point in his life. It is a shame for someone to pass without the dignity of a correct diagnosis. I always forget to ask the questions when I see them, so I thought I would document my thought to bring it up next time I talk to them. Read these stories and see how familiar it is with anyone you know? Not sure if you know anyone, but I shared some of Howard's same symptoms prior to my diagnosis. 

Please read these articles!!!

  http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/11/17/brain-ventures-a-businessmans-battle-with-a-rare-neurological-disorder/.

Here is a new article that really explains Howard and the disease through an article the Alzheimer's Association published;

http://earlydementiasupport.blogspot.com/2013/10/alzheimers-assoc-article-on-ftd.html

Howard is a friend of mine and he was misdiagnosed with several disorders before he finally was correctly diagnosed. But not before his life was ultimately destroyed by the misdiagnosis and prescribed medications. Howard is an avid advocate for FTD and administers many support groups via Facebook. The link on the bottom of my page will take you to his blog also.

I just finished watching Sunday Night Football and it reminded me of an article I read regarding football helmets. I am sorry I cannot reference the source, but it talked about the leather helmet being more safe than the current design. I think they were exaggerating some. But my thought is, why is there a hard shell on the outside of a football helmet? When the two solid objects collide, the head and brain are absorbing the impact of the hit. Shouldn't the hard shell be more of an inner layer and have a more pliable material on the outer shell that would absorb a majority of the impact? I saw a show and I think it was 60 Minutes. They were reporting on a new barrier for NASCAR that the University of Nebraska engineering students designed. They explained the details of the design and It was merely putting Styrofoam on the outside of concrete barriers covered to absorb the impacts of the cars and the barrier. Seems like it would work for noggin as well trying to be protected in a sport. Maybe there is already designs for a helmet that I am not aware of, but yesterday was not soon enough for such a transformation!!! I found the piece about the leather helmet;

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/04/old-leather-football-helmets-more-efficient-than-modern-ones-study-says/

And then the testing and design of the barrier wall. This is old technology and now there are less bulky material to absorb the impacts.

http://www.dynalook.com/international-conf-2004/06-1.pdf

Sundays make me lazy and I will start posting referenced articles.

If the National Football League is going to spend millions of dollars to only admit that they are guilty of not forwarding important information regarding concussions, one would think they could come up with a design to protect the health of the guys they will not take liability for!!! That was a long, run on, confusing sentence for a reason. Sometimes the simple resolution is the one that makes the least amount sense. What a complicated  corporate structure we live in!!!

Until we meet again. I will look for that design for the barrier rail design and post the link. There is a lot of links on here to read. I find it very interesting and I hope you do as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment