As a kid, I can remember playing outfield (cf) in baseball and a high fly ball coming down and as I rose my glove to catch it, it went right over the top of my glove and smacked me in the forehead. Riding my bike and face planting into a car, house or the pavement. Playing tackle football in the yard and smacking my head against the house. And backyard boxing with my buddies. Those were the days. Not to mention the times I refuse to tell that were self induced head butts. Who would have known? That is just a normal active childhood.
Football from 7th to 9th grades were not that bad, but high school and junior college football, I think is where it took its toll on my brain. Too many concussions to really count. I know 10-15, maybe more. from minor to unable to move and spinning, several times. The fact is nobody really did know back then what the head trauma would eventually do. Shake it off and keep going. That's what we did and that is what kids today try to get away with. Kids that want to play sports, will hide illness to keep playing. That is why it is so important for coaches, parents, and the children be educated about head injuries and the potential ill effects that it has on everyday living.
Yesterday was a good day. I started this blog and wrote my first one and the beginning of this one. Today is much more foggy and I had to force myself to come to the computer. But, that is why I am doing this to do something even when I am not comfortable doing it. It will keep me going. My thoughts are not nearly as organized as yesterday, but I will carry on!!
I had a neurologist tell me you can't have CTE because you did not play football in the NFL. How can someone so educated, be so closed minded and say something so asinine? Ego? Prior to me not being able to walk without the aid of a walker, another neurologist diagnosed me as someone that watches too much television and increased the medication I was taking for pain. He thought maybe it was neck issues. At the minimum, if they want a patient to waste all of their time to fill out their medical history forms, they should READ them!!! These stories are for nothing more than express the importance of second and third opinions. Egos are everywhere when dealing with males. Why? Not sure, but egos sure make a lot of smart men look pretty stupid!!! That is why doctors need to be aware of one of the most common injuries in life......head trauma.
Heads Up USA Football is an incredible organization that educates the fundamentals of the game. Here is the link for more information,; http://usafootball.com/headsup?gclid=CMG7pI-TnroCFUPl7Aod8gEAiw.
I emailed this link to our local youth football program that my son plays in for nothing more than to help and educate the president of the organization. He tells me yeah, I already know about it. Okay, then are your coaches being certified? Yes, I am going to have them go through an online test. Okay, whatever better than nothing. This guy is an ego maniac. He will not take advice from anyone. There is a section on Heads Up website about uniform fitting. My son comes home and tells me his helmet doesn't fit, it is too big. I get a tape measure the circumference of his head 10 times. Guess what he measures a medium every time I measure!! I look at his helmet, and it is a large...........I was pissed. I asked my son how and who sized his helmet? He said this guy (who happens to be a college equipment manager) and he handed it to me to put on and said it looked good. I emailed the video of how to properly size a football helmet!!! Then raised hell about it. My son was not the only one either. Many of the kids had helmet size issues. How dare they take our children's health so lightly!! I don't remember the full conversation, but when I finally caught the president of the football organization, I expressed my thoughts, politely. He said I was a troublemaker and I told him he may want to go to an organization to see how things are done right to learn. He gives me a long line of incompetent bullshit and I just shake my head and move on. There is no dealing with an ego maniac that knows everything.
I am not sure how often I am going to post a blog, but as I keep typing my thoughts, I will keep posting. My thoughts get so scattered that I am trying to stay focused on one issue at a time. Whatever, life is good and ego maniacs piss me off!! Carry on!!
No comments:
Post a Comment